Sunday, September 4, 2016

Marketing Tactics

I just happened to be in the market for a mattress for my son this weekend.  I didn't pay any attention to the fact that it was Labor Day weekend and sales were going on.  It was pure coincidence as far as that goes.

I started calling around getting price quotes from different places in town to see who had the best deal.  I just wanted something cheap, not wanting to spend a lot of money. I found that a couple places were having special deals and had narrowed it down to these two places.  I could get just a mattress for $99 at one place or a set for $149 at Bedzzz Express.  Plus, I could choose between a twin, full, or queen for the same price.  So, I decided if I could get any of those sizes for the same price that I would get him a full size bed since he is about to be 13 and nowhere near finished growing yet.

Here's the ad:


However, when we got to the store and saw the mattress quality being offered, it didn't seem like such a good deal anymore.  I knew ahead of time that it was just a basic mattress.  I was not expecting anything fancy, but when I sat on it, I could feel the box spring underneath.  So, we began looking for the next best choice.  In the end I spent almost $100 more for a twin size mattress that was much better quality and I felt like it would last my growing boy a good bit longer that "cheap" one. 

As I was leaving, I thought, good marketing, Bedzzz Express. You got me in with your $150 doorbuster deal and after seeing the low quality of that mattress compared to all the others in the store, I spent a good deal more than I planned on spending. I would say that Bedzzz Express won that one, but I did feel like it was a win-win in the end because it was still a good deal on a much more comfortable mattress.

I also had the thought that it is really smart to have a wide range of products and prices, but even more important to have a great selection on mid-priced products.  I think the majority of people on a budget are going to shoot somewhere in the middle.  Not everyone can afford the high-end products, but they also don't want a piece of junk.  They want something that will last and have a decent amount of comfort/usability.  



Speaking of mattresses, I saw a commercial for a mattress recently that I thought was pretty creative.  The company's name is purple.  I thought the use of the fairy tale character was done in a fun, creative way and the way they presented the information was pretty entertaining, as far as mattress commercials go.  At the end, they even show that the eggs they are using in the commercial are real to make it more believable.  When they address the price, they mention first that other mattress cost thousands of dollars, but their mattress is only ONE thousand. I'm thinking that is still a lot of money, but the way it is presented makes you feel like you are getting a great deal!

Enjoy this commercial:


Have a great day!

Kristy Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment